On Thursday 28 May 2009, David Ramsden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a 64bit Debian (Lenny) system but unfortunately I have a
> requirement where I need to run a PHP extension on this system that was
>   compiled on a 32bit system. The source isn't available and the people
> who produce the extension won't recompile it.

The CPU and the kernel can cope as long as everything starts in 64-bit more it
can flip between 32/64-bit on the fly without a problem. The problem comes
with 64-bit programs trying to link to 32-bit libraries. Generally this won't
work and you need to install all 32-bit programs in a chroot or hope that they
will run okay with 32-bit libraries installed in the lib32 directory.

Debian's 64-bit Icewasel comes with a shim called nspluginwrapper to allow 32-
bit plug-ins to work. Unless there is a 32-bit PHP module loader written you
will need to at least build one or install Apache/PHP 32-bit.

I don't do PHP so I can't help further, but it is probably possible though it
may not be easy...

HTH..?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The Politician is an acrobat: he keeps his balance by saying
the opposite of what he does.
    -- Maurice Barres