On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 09:18:06 +0100
Richard Danter <radan...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> And to think I bought my wife an Eee _because_ it was Linux...
>
>    http://www.itsbetterwithwindows.com/
>
> Maybe this explains why updates are no longer working (we get out of
> memory errors now, even though there is nothing extra installed).
> Guess Asus have abandoned Linux.
>
> Maybe time to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix, anyone tried it on a 901?

Just get the Debian Eeepc Distro.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install

I got the version that loads onto a memory stick and it installed with
no problems on my 900, everything just works including wireless and
blutooth. The default gui is gnome but I have run xfce and openbox on
it.

The installer uses Lenny as its base but since squeeze is now
supported I did a dist-upgrade yesterday without any problems.

I got 50+ updated packages today whereas with Lenny I was getting only a
few per week, but given Squeeze is a work in progress the number of
updates is to be expected and is no worse than experienced with Sid on
my main system.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop