On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 08:12:30PM +0100, Scott Robinson wrote:
> Hi Guys,

   What about the gals? And persons indeterminate?

> Bit of a broadband issue here rather than Linux! Thought you may be
> able to help.
>
> broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk reports speeds of 3360/258 although the
> router (DG834GT on Sky) reports:
>
> ADSL Firmware Version A2pB022c.d20e
> Modem Status Connected
> DownStream Connection Speed 8032 kbps
> UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
> VPI 0
> VCI 38
>
> Is it me being silly or is there a problem here somewhere?

   No problem. The modem is reporting the *potential* speed of the
line, were you to have perfect transmission. In other words, it's
reporting the "headline" speed of the particular specification of ADSL
it's using on the line.

   The speed checker is reporting the speed it measured (since you
don't have perfect transmission -- just like everyone else).

   ADSL signals are a wide spectrum of (audio) frequencies, in very
narrow slices. Each frequency carries a (relatively slow) data signal,
and your data is multiplexed across all of the frequencies to get
high-speed data transmission. On consumer-grade copper telephone
wiring, there's a lot of noise, cross-talk, and attenuation, so what
your modem will do when it's first connected is work out which
frequencies it's losing data on, and stop using them. Thus, for each
frequency with poor transmission properties, you lose a little bit of
bandwidth from your maximum. This process of working out which
frequencies are noisy is the "training" process it goes through in the
first 10 days or so of connection.

   So, if you were in the exchange with new undamaged high-grade
copper cabling, you'd have no unacceptable noise on the line, and your
modem would connect at 8032kbps. Since you're probably a couple of
miles from the exchange, most likely running over copper wire that was
put in the ground 30 years ago, and has been cut, patched, soaked,
hacked at, bent, and generally mangled, you've lost over half of your
transmission frequencies, and you're connecting at something rather
slower.

   You may be able to find somewhere in your modem admin pages a
display which shows the frequencies it's actually using, and at what
signal levels. From this, it is possible to work out the actual
theoretical maximum for your connection (at the time that those
signals were measured).

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: h...@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
   --- The English language has the mot juste for every occasion. ---