Damian Brasher wrote:
> Do modern psychologists ever contrast computer data management to human data
> (memory) management?

Very very simplistic :-) - how people respresent text differs from person to
person.

For example I read words as a form of mnemonic image - hence I take 4 novels
into the bathroom every time I want a decent soak! This means when reading code
I see a sequence of lexographic tokens. I also read transposed characters
without noticing them.

A good friend was very musically inclined and read letter-by-letter but again
mnemonically ties words to something - this time their sounds.
I visualise words - he 'heard' - he also 'heard' source listings.

 From discussions with others, various other mechaniisms are employed by both
readers and writers.

Finally how we visualise what we see and translate in both 2d and 3d is
a completely separate part of the brain to both short term and long term memory.

FWIU how we recall information from short term and long term memory differs
which is why a smell can bring back an old memory but (almost) never triggers a
recent one.

Also the process of recognising someones face is again different to both
long term and short term recall. Example: I can paint/draw someone from life or
photo pretty well (I originally trained as a commercial artist) but unless I
have
seen their face recently (and often) I have no chance of drawing them frmo
memory
- and that includes myself! While I studied art and specifically drawing I did
remember faces much better but as I have not kept up my skills my ability to
remmber
(not recognise) faces has since deteriorated.

YMMV