On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 12:43:30 +0100
Tony Whitmore <t...@tonywhitmore.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:02:18 +0100, john lewis
> <johnle...@hantslug.org.uk> wrote:
> > are there any other alternatives to acroread apart from xpdf and
> > kpdf
>
> Check out these:
>
> http://pdfreaders.org/

Thankfully by fiddling about with aptitude & dpkg I have managed to
remove the conflicting packages, in particular ia32-apt-get, and do a
complete re-installation of the ia32 libs and the acroread
packages.

I have just managed to open acroread again and load those pdfs into
tabs (or rather acroread shows multiple open files as though they are
in tabs which none of the alternatives can do)

/me wipes brow in relief ;-)

Thanks for all the suggestions but it seems open source software has a
way to go yet before it can replace the Adobe offering for what _I_ want
it to do.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop