Hi

> > It would be nice to see smart stats saying, we got this much shock
> > before we managed to park the heads.

As far as I can see this is non statement.  What shock is needed for the disk
data reader to touch the spinning disk.  If this shock occurs there is no time
to do any disk parking.

MTBF is based on the assumption that repeated environmental stresses are below
a certain value.  If the environmental stress is above a certain value than a
phenomena known as cyclic stress fatigue will be of great influence on the
failure rate.  Please excuse me if I have not quite got the right terms it is
over 20 years since I was involved in quality and reliability.

There are also other effects that MTBF does not take account of.  There are
effects that come about due to ageing that can only be determined by running
something for the actual length of time concerned.

Hard disks fail very quickly if they have to operate in a tank.

John Eayrs