From: Stephen Davies <stephen.dav...@ultraconsulting.co.uk>

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:17:44
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List<hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Subject: [Hampshire] IPV4 : 700 days and counting ?

This announcement by Roaring Penguin
http://linuxpr.com/releases/11567.html

had a bit that got me thinking.

It states that the IPV4 address base will be exhausted in 700 days and
that we should (by default) move to IPV6

That is all well and good but how many people reading this are actively
using IPV6 (not just leaving if on by default but configuring things
like ip6tables.conf, dhcp etc)
How many are using an ISP that provided an IPV6 enabled connection?
If so what ADSL modem do you use?
If you don't use IPV6 then what are your plans to move to it (at least
for external connections)?

I visited a pretty 'with it' company yesterday and I was surprised that
they have just about ditched IPV4 internally.

They have one subnet left for those 'old' devices (HP Printers plus the
odd Windows system). Everything else uses IPV6.

Stephen D