On Saturday 15 August 2009 00:38:07 Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> I'm planning to use one or more external USB hard drives to backup a
> headless server running Debian.  I'll probably use rsnapshot, with a
> script that detects for the presence of the right drive.
>
> But how can the server tell the user when it is safe to unplug the
> drive?  Or maybe the user should somehow tell the server "I want to
> unplug the drive -- stop using it and unmount it".
>
> The user's only way of communicating with the server is by email or
> possibly via Webmin.
>
> Has anyone come up with a cunning plan to deal with this?
>
> cheers
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris Dennis                                  cgden...@btinternet.com
> Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

I would have thought that when your backup script is complete it would be easy
enough to add an unmount command and a mail command to the end of the script.
Thus the server unmounts the disk and e-mails the user to tell them that it's
been removed.

Cheers,

Tim B.

--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
Lead Developer