2009/9/25 Chris Simmonds <ch...@2net.co.uk>:
> Actually I very much doubt that MS Windows Mobile has any significant device
> support at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

Symbian OS from Symbian Ltd. (50.3% Market Share Sales Q2 2009)
RIM BlackBerry operating system (20.9% Market Share Sales Q4 2009)
iPhone OS from Apple Inc. (13.7% Market Share Sales Q2 2009)
Windows Mobile from Microsoft (9% Market Share Sales Q2 2009)
Android from Google Inc. (2.8% Market Share Sales Q2 2009)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system

Symbian OS from Symbian Ltd. (46.6% Market Share Sales Q3 2008
iPhone OS from Apple Inc. (17.3% Market Share Sales Q3 2008)
BlackBerry OS from RIM (15.2% Market Share Sales Q3 2008)
Windows Mobile from Microsoft (13.6% Market Share Sales Q3 2008)
Linux operating system (5.1% Market Share Sales Q3 2008)

That looks "significant" to me.

Whilst I don't disagree that Linux certainly has a place in the future
mobile market, I don't think we should dismiss Symbian and WiMo as
non-runners, given they have such market dominance.

> So, I stick by my original premise: the future of mobile devices is Linux.
> Which is a good thing. It is my hope that as time goes by they will become
> more open until we get to the point that you by the phone and then load
> whatever software you want onto it - just like a PC. We are a way off that
> but there are already some open platforms such as the Nokia webpads
> N777-N900 that have already been mentioned in this thread and of course the
> OpenMoko.

Ahhh OpenMoko.

Can you make calls on those reliably yet?

I had one for a while, and it was abysmal. A hackers plaything, not a phone.

Cheers,
Al.