On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 10:12:30AM +0000, Victor Churchill wrote:
> The script wants to send the message to b...@hughes-energy.com (Names
> left of the '@' changed. I have left the domain name unsanitized)
> The failure msg looks like this:

> <bo...@h-ems.com>: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
>     name=data.h-ems.com.h-ems.com type=A: Host not found

> That line "for name=data.h-ems.com.h-ems.com type=A: Host not found"
> looks to me almost like a blatant typo/clerical error in somebody's
> setup.

Yes.  Looks like the classic missing . in a zonefile:

The MX for h-ems.com is:
[hug...@the ~]$ dig -t MX h-ems.com +short
10 data.h-ems.com.h-ems.com.

Yet:
[hug...@the ~]$ dig -t any data.h-ems.com.h-ems.com +short
[hug...@the ~]$ dig -t any data.h-ems.com +short
213.232.95.114

So they probably meant to set their MX to data.h-ems.com.

> Looks to me like b...@hughes-energy.com is
> translated/resolved/forwarded (never quite sure of the terminology) to
> bo...@h-ems.com,

That seems likely.

> but then whilst it is trying to resolve bo...@h-ems.com,
> gateway1.messagingengine.com. finds that data.h-ems.com.h-ems.com does
> not exist.

> I am not sure how/why bo...@fastmail.co.uk comes in to it. I'd have
> though the whole thing would have failed before it got as far as him.

> Can somebody indicate from this information, what sequence of
> processes going on? I'd actually find it quite useful to get more of
> an idea of what is happening.

I don't think from what you have that you can assume anything about the
fastmail address.

However it looks like b...@hughes-energy.com is forwarding to
bo...@h-ems.com and that mail to h-ems.com is broken because of the
broken MX record.  Hence the bounce you see.

--
Simon  [ hug...@earth.li ] *\    Le doute est le commencement de la  \**