2010/1/2 Rob Malpass <l...@getiton.myzen.co.uk>:

>>You do not make it clear what devices are on the network and how are
>>they connected together. Is a network switch involved or not etc.
>
> There are no switches involved and all of the hubs are quite old.   The
> connection goes
> from NAS to hub a then hub a to hub b, then hub b to hub c, then hub c to
> router and the
> client machine is plugged into the router.   I'm unable to move the NAS
> device into the
> router because of a curiosity with another of my NAS devices (Bufallo
> linkstation)
> which for some reasons insists on being plugged into the router otherwise it
> disappears
> off the network.

Wow, some old stuff there. You already know about the 5-4-3 rule from
the other posts.
If you give the model numbers of each hub, I might be able to help further.
My guess is that one of the hubs might be running at 10Mbps. If there
are a lot of PCs on the network, then the network will already be
flooded, this could also cause the file transfer problems.
You should really look at upgrading to using switches instead of hubs.
Another option is the put a sniffer on the network, and see how much
bandwidth is being used.
Do you know the difference between a hub and a switch? Replacing hubs
with switches will greatly reduce the amount of traffic on each
network link.
And Layer 3 switches even more so.

Kind Regards

James