On 09/03/2010 21:20, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Alex Phillips wrote:
>
>> Dear List,
>>
>>      Can anyone recommend a Laptop repair shop, preferable in the north
>> Hampshire area, and preferably one that will charge a sensible fee for
>> just looking at it.
>>
>>      My HP Laptop has died at 13 months old....I'm not overly impressed.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Alex.
>>
> Hi Alex,
>
> Try HP.
>
> I got Dell to repair and eventually replace a laptop that was a month or
> two out of warranty.
>
> If you've got the time to spare, I start off with asking for good will
> and work up to a letter to the UK boss if that doesn't work. Obviously,
> if it's your only machine you might need to find a decent repair shop
> sooner than that, and the only one I can recommend  is on the South
> Coast which is probably no good to you.
>
> Sean

I would start with reminding HP that under UK law (specifically the Sale
of Goods Act) they are obliged to repair an item within a time that you
can "reasonably expect it to last". However, it's actually the sellers
responsibility to deal with this, not the manufacturer. In the case of a
laptop, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to work for more
than 13 months.

James