> Hi
>
> I have no idea where to start, but I'd like to display all of the roads in
> the UK that are deristricted, but not motorways. The simple reason is that
> am a motorcyclist, and am frustrated with picking nice bendy roads on a
> map
> to find they are all 30 or 40mph. There are a few 'best roads' sites, but
> they tend to be for head down, ass-in-the-air performance bikes that seem
> like going at 140mph along straight roads.
>
> So, the idea is to suck the data out of a gps device (not that I have
> one),
> and then ask it stuff. I assume that gps data is a database with name,
> class, start point, end point, speed grading, speed limit etc. Can anyone
> help please (suggesting I get a push-bike and stop polluting the planet is
> not necessarily classed as help, in case you were tempted)?

You seem to be confused :)

To clarify things, GPS is purely a system to work out your current location.
GPS navigation devices us a GPS to plot your location and route on its own
internal map data.
Note that this map data is normally in a proprietory format and VERY
expensive to licence to use.

As someone has already mentioned, there is the OpenStreetmap project to
recreate the map data with an open licence that will include the
information you want.
Once you've had a good look around the site, you can extract suitable data
using the OSMXAPI.

I hope this helps :)

--
Dee Earley (Creator of Whiteley on OSM :)