OK, not necessarily just Lucid, but things have changed with my upgrade. I'll
quickly work through a bit of history in case it helps. I'm basically curious
to know how the default behaviour of the desktop should be so I know what the
actual quirks are! This is on an HP Mini 2133 in case it is relevant.

This install started as Ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix when I wanted to get
something more recent than the preinstalled Suse (which was out of date before
I got it!). The Suse install was a nightmare partly because I could never get
it to update anything due to the commercial restrictions on access to the
repositories. Novell/Suse told me to talk to HP and HP told me to talk to
Novell/Suse, so although I like the netbook, my experience of a preinstalled
commercial Linux distribution has matched my low opinion of Red Hat!

Anyhoo, all went well bar the UNR interface running so painfully slowly as to
make it unusable. Thankfully the standard Gnome desktop runs nicely and I
prefer that to the UNR interface anyway.

The upgrade to 9.10 is when things started to get quirky. I had already
switched from Pidgin to Empathy to try things out. Following the upgrade (done
through the GUI Update Manager tool, I found that clicking on Empathy in the
panel no longer minimised it, which was slightly annoying, but I never quite
got around to investigating properly. This is the same on my desktop. The
Gwibber icon on the panel also had a habit of vanishing, although that is more
recent than the upgrade.

Now, following upgrading to 10.04 I find that Gwibber no longer shows in the
panel at all, and Empathy still doesn't minimise when you click the icon,
although it does maximise. This seems somewhat inconsistent, particularly when
closing Empathy with x minimises it to the panel, whereas doing the same with
Gwibber closes it completely (which may be related to it not being on the panel
I guess!). The other oddity that has appeared is that hovering the mouse over
the battery icon on the panel no longer gives you a tool tip with the battery
status, you have to click on it - which again is inconsistent with the other
items there. Liferea works fine maximising and minimising when clicked as
expected.

So what is the standard behaviour? Which bits of this need fixing as a bug and
which need modifying with the interface (as a feature request)?

Other than that I'm quite enjoying Lucid, and even the button placement isn't
bothering me too much (I'm giving it a fair chance), although when I use Chrome
it confuses me because it ditches the window manager title bar and borders so
they are on the right! You can disable this but it takes up more screen space
then!

Darn, this was supposed to be a quick post, I'll stop now...