On 19 June 2010 22:20, Tim Retout <dioc...@debian.org> wrote:
> On 19 June 2010 20:53, Anton Piatek <an...@piatek.co.uk> wrote:
>> Several people have asked me at various Hants/Surrey LUG events about
>> building Debian/Ubuntu packages. I have just started the first of a
>> series of blog posts about it, and thought I would post it here for
>> those that are interested.
>>
>> http://www.strangeparty.com/2010/06/17/a-debian-packaging-howto/
>
> Noooooooooooooo, not cdbs! ;)
>
> Most developers prefer debhelper 7 these days, with the 'dh' tool,
> because it is easier to customize for unusual situations. Some
> packaging teams (like the Debian GNOME team, I think) still use cdbs
> because they have specialized requirements.  (This is almost certainly
> the first comment you would receive on submitting such a package to
> the debian-mentors list, apart being asked to clean up the rubbish
> added by dh_make.)
>
> But getting people to package things properly is good, so kudos for
> encouraging that.  Too often people create hacked-together binary
> packages, and foist them on unsuspecting users.
>
> Anyone interested in contributing to Debian can get hands-on help and
> support via Debian's mentors scheme: http://mentors.debian.net/ -
> Ubuntu will have a similar scheme.

Well I plan to write more posts as I go, and will be writing about
creating debian/rules with debhelper, however I think for a new
packager cdbs allows you to get started incredibly quickly and makes
very good gueses at most stuff.
Of course you may reach a point where you want to get the full
control of your build rules, but certainly when I was learning
packaging it took me a long time to learn which dh_* helpers I needed
and which ones I didn't

I appreciate the feedback though (and the fact that you read the post :p )

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: an...@piatek.co.uk

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.