It is standard practice for BT to charge is they don't find a fault or the
fault
is on the users wiring\equipment.

You could try phoning BT and telling them that you have a problem with the
phone
line, I had to do this with a certain ISP as they were adamant the fault I was
reporting was my router, turned out somebody had cut the cable (builder doing
work for the business next door).

Tim