On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 01:31:51 +0000, a...@strugglers.net said:

> Are they requiring you to run those diagnostics to RMA the drives,
> or is it just something you wanted to do for more info?

I don't know, I haven't tried to return one yet. I'm not 100% sure it's
even faulty, but there were some issues. I just want to test it, but it
seems now that one needs to install an OS to do so, which in turn means we
need to install a second drive.

I, perhaps naively, expect disk manufacturers to provide a standalone
bootable diagnostic, which until now WD have done - indeed, they still do,
but not for this particular drive, despite the fact that there is such
an .ISO file available on the downloads page for this drive.