Hi everyone,

My son is currently residing in halls of residence where is 'net access
is piped to his laptop via an ethernet cable on his desk. Obviously that
somewhat restricts the flexibility of the laptop and longer cables are
not really an option as he has mobility problems and would struggle if
there were cables trailing around the room.

It occurred to me that this might be solved with a wireless access point
that hooks up to the ethernet cable, but upon looking for a modern
incarnation of such a device it appears they have been largely ousted by
the combination wireless routers many of us use. You can buy them, but
they seem to be the same price as a good quality wireless router, i.e. £45.

My brain's a bit fuzzier than usual this morning, but am I right in
thinking I could buy a cheaper wireless modem and configure it solely as
an access point, i.e. leaving the modem component unconfigured?

The range isn't important, but it will need to be secured, ideally with
WPA and MAC address filtering.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk