I needed to submit an annual return for the current year to Companies
House, it is a very "simple" balance sheet for a dormant company.

I eventually got the pdf form completed correctly using acroread on my
linux system but was unable to submit the document as it came up with a
Certificate error.

I followed the instructions given, ie:

acroread -installCertificate ewf.companieshouse.gov.uk 443

I checked ~/.adobe/Acrobat/9.0/Cert and it looks like the certificate is
in there, but am still not able to submit the document from my linux
system.

I then tried doing it from a windows system and had no problems,
acrobat reader asked if I want to connect to companies house and once
I'd said Ok it did whatever was needed.

Is this normal?

I had originally set up the company and submitted all the relevant
details from my linux system without any problems so it was irritating
to find that I couldn't submit the first balance sheet the same way.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid