At 11:44 17/11/2010, you wrote:
some weeks back there was a discussion about e-readers and at the time I hadn't any plans to get one. I knew I'd not go down the kindle route as I don't like amazons policies, mainly the fact they don't really let you own the books you have 'purchased'

yes a worry along with no local storage ie a SD card.

I also thought the Sony readers too expansive. I really only wanted to spend in the region of £50 and there don't seem to be any second-hand ones around, at least not on-line.

I got my Sony 505 from cash generator for £100 in store though.

The I stumbled upon one selling for just under £80 on the JohnLewis website http://www.johnlewis.com/231015788/Product.aspx?om_i=Ca7fEz&om_u=_BM2AKGB8VjJZqA I'd not seen any mention of this Sovos reader before and did some browsing for reviews and it seemed to be OK so ordered one. I have been using it for several weeks now and am quite pleased with it. It doesn't have an e-paper screen but I'm happy enough with the greyish background.

eurgh!

The whole point to me of ebook readers is eink makes it easy on the eyes to read. What you have bought is as bad as an iPad laptop or normal monitor for eye strain.

Page turning is quite quick enough although there is an audible click when using the buttons. I downloaded a bunch of epub format books from various websites and found there is one problem with that format in that zooming the image spoils the page formatting. This may be common to all e-book formats and I can live with it. A couple if things I probably won't use are the ability to store jpeg and mp3 files and display/play them. The demo pics included look good thanks to the colour screen. One of advantage of the screen is that is is backlit so the reader can be used in bed ;-)

there are book cover lights for e-ink readers.

A bonus is that I don't need to purchase a case or mains charger as they are included. The case is rigid so protects the somewhat delicate screen. I used calibre to copy the e-books onto the reader and that seems to have messed up the original file system and the demo Music and Photo files are now included in the eBook menu

I hope it works our ok for you.

Martin N

Running MorphOS v2.6 (Nov 2010) on Mac Mini, Moderator of MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups