On 29/01/2011 16:06, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
Apparently the original CDs were going to be even smaller but some head
honcho's wife at Sony wanted a specific pieces of music without having to swap
a CD, so they added a few extra minutes to the standard (they could have added
more as it turns out).

It was Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

It's a real pity that the sample rate was so fixed. I used to record talking newspapers onto cassette - we could get a very reliable 90 minutes on each one. Several of our blind clients were asking for CD versions, but even though we were just recording speech, so that a much, much lower sample rate and in mono would have been fine, the 80-minute limit mean that we often had to use 2 CDs rather than one cassette. The march of progress is not always forwards!