Apress newsletter.

----- Forwarded message from Apress <newslett...@apress.com> -----

Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 09:07:50 -0800
From: Apress <newslett...@apress.com>
To: adam.trick...@iredale.net
Subject: Apress March 2011 Newsletter

** Apress March 2011 Newsletter ***

This month we have some exciting new releases. First in the lineup is
Pro Expression Blend 4, a comprehensive guide to the Expression Blend IDE by
bestselling author Andrew Troelsen. This book will help .NET developers as well
as graphic artists produce slick WPF, Silverlight, and Windows Phone 7
applications. If you have still yet to take the plunge into Android, you can
start
with Practical Android Projects by Lucas L. Jordan and Pieter Greyling. It will
introduce you to the Android platform in the most effective way possible:
quickly
getting down to business and building an app. If you’re averse to going native,
you can use Pro Android Web Apps by Damon Oehlman and Sebastien Blanc to
harness the power of HTML5 and create rich web apps for Android devices. And
finally, if you want to tinker with everything from robots to mobile devices,
check
out Beginning Arduino by Michael McRoberts, which will introduce you to the
ever
popular Arduino platform for open source electronics.

***

Master the Microsoft Expression Blend IDE

Pro Expression Blend 4
by Andrew Troelsen
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/143023377X

Pro Expression Blend 4 by Andrew Troelsen guides .NET developers and graphic
artists through the world of Expression blend, moving beyond the basics to
detailed examinations of workspace customization, graphics, data binding,
SketchFlow, and more.

***

Create compelling apps for Android
—native or web

Practical Android Projects
by Lucas Jordan, Pieter Greyling
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430232439

Pro Android Web Apps: Developing HTML5, JavaScript, CSS, and
Chrome OS Web Apps
By Damon Oehlman, Sébastien Blanc
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430232765

***

Latest Books

    * Pro Drupal 7 for Windows Developers
    * Pro Data Backup and Recovery
    * Pro DNS and BIND 10
    * Advanced BlackBerry 6 Development
    * Windows Phone 7 Made Simple

Forthcoming Books

   * Creative Blogging: Your First Steps to a Successful Blog
   * Beginning Oracle Application Express 4
   * Advanced BlackBerry 6 Development
   * Pro SharePoint 2010 Search
   * PowerPivot Solutions for Business Intelligence using Excel and SharePoint

Best-sellers

  1. Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK
  2. iPhone 4 Made Simple
  3. Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform, Fifth Edition
  4. Pro ASP.NET MVC 2 Framework, Second Edition
  5. The Game Maker's Companion

***

Conference News and Notes:

SXSW Interactive  March 11-15

We’ll be attending SXSW Interactive in Austin, TX once again this
month. It’s an event we always enjoy attending as it gives us the
opportunity to meet and spend time with developers working in so
many different technology areas on such a wide range of projects.
We’re fortunate to have titles of relevance to many attendees,
and will be there fully loaded with print books plus our Kindles,
Nooks, and iPads showing off titles on topics as diverse as
HTML5, Arduino, Android, and iOS. If you’re attending, why not
call in to the Trade Show area and see us at booth 413. We’d love
to see you

SPTechCon February 7–9
The SharePoint Technology Conference, or SPTechCon for short, took place in
San Francisco, CA February 7 – 9. Approximately 1000 attendees—ranging from
developers and administrators to project managers and business consultants
—enjoyed many sessions and keynote speeches led by a veritable who’s who of
 the SharePoint community. Highlights included a keynote from Jared Spataro,
Director of SharePoint Project Management, who noted that “if you took
harePoint and ran it as a standalone business, it would be bigger than
Salesforce.com, and one of the top 50 companies in the world.”

Apress was in attendance with our full line of SharePoint titles, presented in
both
traditional book form and on various devices like the iPad and Kindle. There
was
particular interest in our end-user title SharePoint 2010 User’s Guide, as well
as
the BI-focused Pro SharePoint 2010 Business Intelligence Solutions. Thanks to
all who attended and stopped by the booth—we’ll see you at next year’s show!

***
Build cool robots and electronics using this popular open source platform

Beginning Arduino
by Michael McRoberts
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430232404

***

Apress User Group Spotlight

Houston SharePoint User Group (H-SPUG)

The Houston SharePoint User Group was founded in Spring 2007 and
has been an active member of the Apress User Group program since
2009. H-SPUG is one of the largest SharePoint User Groups in the
country, with members representing many different business
verticals. The goal of H-SPUG is to provide up-to-date
recommendations and guidance from SharePoint professionals.
Speakers include local experts as well as nationally known
speakers from the SharePoint Trainings and MVP communities.
Meetings take place every third Wednesday of the month at the
Microsoft corporate office in Houston.

Windows Azure User Group

The Windows Azure User Group is a virtual User Group, which meets
every second Wednesday of the month at 3pm CT. The group is
focused with sharing knowledge and experience on all things
related to the Windows Azure Platform. Speakers range from
Microsoft staff to Azure MVP consultants in the field. Since the
Windows Azure User Group started in 2010, it has grown rapidly
with over 1000 members. Here is a sneak peak at the topics coming
up this year:

* Real Projects in Azure: Lessons Learned from the Field
* Build Your Own HPC in Azure
* Security Principles and Patterns over Windows Azure
* Developing Applications for SQL Azure
* AzureWatch - Dynamic Scaling System for Windows Azure

Visit www.AzureUG.net to learn more and to sign up for
notifications regarding upcoming events.

***

Apress User Group Program

Apress is committed to supporting the tech community. With over
1,700 registered User Groups on apress.com, there are meetings
happening every week all over the world. Why not find a user
group near you? If you run a User Group, sign up your User Group
to take advantage of our exclusive Apress User Group benefits.

For more information about the Apress User Group Program, please
visit our User Group pages.

A Special Note about Apress eBook Front Matter

For your convenience, Apress has moved the eBook front matter
content to the back of the eBook. Front matter material
(including the author bio and preface) has appeared after the
index for all Apress and friends of ED eBooks published since
January 2011.

The reason we have adopted this new formatting change, along with
many other publishers, is to make the eBook reading experience as
easy and convenient as possible for our readers to jump right
into the eBook’s content.

To access the front matter, simply use the eBook’s bookmarks as
well as the Contents at a Glance links.

***

Apress on Twitter

We tweet about what we're up to, what our authors are up to, and
about anything else that takes our fancy. We even offer exclusive
deals to our followers, so what are you waiting for? Come find us
at @apress.

Want to know what’s hot off the presses? We also have a new
secondary account that'll keep you informed of our books as they
publish, backing up our regular 'New Titles' RSS feed. Follow
@ApressBooks for these updates.

***

We do not send unsolicited newsletters. You received this because
you've previously bought eBooks from us, or signed up for our
newsletter at www.apress.com or at a tradeshow. To be removed
from the Apress newsletter mailing list, you can unsubscribe
here: http://app.streamsend.com/private//6IK/
4qYC8Mw/unsubscribe/

For all other requests, please do not reply to this e-mail.
Instead, e-mail i...@apress.com with any questions and we'll get
back to you.

Apress, 233 Spring Street, New York, NY 10013, USA

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
        -- anon