Hi all

Does anyone have experience of wifi repeaters?   I bought one [1] from
Novatech for under 40 quid but its manual is awful and badly translated.   I
_think_ I've set it up as a wireless repeater but it's not making things any
easier.   The signal strength according to the "bar chart" on the clients is
much better but it connects with "limited or no availability" making me
think that the link between the repeater and the router (which is wifi
itself) isn't working.   A few questions if anyone can help:

1) Setup requires connecting via a cable to the LAN and logging into
192.168.0.254 from a browser - no problem there - that's how I configured
it.

However, and I believe this may be crucial, I have not found anywhere how to
set this up on its own.   For example, with it configured, I would guess I
need to unplug it, relocate it such it's equidistant between the wireless
router and the client machine, plug it in to the power (no LAN cable) and
all will be well.   Is this not so?

2) The device has several "modes" of which I've set it to Wireless Repeater
and configured it with exactly the same parameters (same name, channel,
SSID, pre-shared key) etc as the wireless router.   Is this right or should
I have called it mynet2 which extends mynet as opposed to mynet (mynet being
the name of the original wifi network)?

3) As it wasn't working, I recently reconnected it up in the study via lan
cable and was dismayed to see it asking me to go through the wizard.   I
would presume that all the time it had been relocated without the LAN cable,
it had been wanting this too - am I wrong?

4) I guess in summary my question is: do wireless repeaters require a cabled
connection to the LAN or do they take the existing wifi connection and boost
it?   This is what I asked of the Novatech employee before buying it and he
was convinced it would do the trick - but then again I guess he was a
salesman!

On its way to me at the moment is a powerline (ethernet over mains) device
(which works well elsewhere in our house) so I'm hoping that if I can't use
[1] as a repeater then I can at least use it as a humble access point
connected to the powerline such that a better result can be achieved - but I
never like to be "beaten" by things like this.

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Rob

[1]