I have a BT Home Hub 2 on their Infinity broadband and I've been trying to
set up something similar to get to my NAS drives from out on the Internet. I
too have been unable to get it to work no matter what I do, yesterday I
discovered there's a bug in the firmware that means you have to hard reset
the box to get it to work:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Problem-with-Bt-Home-Hub/m-p/10729#M6105

If you're not on the BT Home Hub then this site might help you with setting
up other routers:

http://portforward.com/

I hope some of that is useful!

--Peter