Hi Mike, you've got some useful stuff to try from others in the thread.

When you're changing sshd_config you're restarting sshd afterwards?

>From an Internet-based Linux host, does "nc some.dyndns.org <http://some.dyndns.org> 2222" produce an openssh banner?

My next steps would be ssh -v on client side and a simultaneous multitail on /var/log/auth.log on the server.

When running Internet-facing ssh it would be prudent to look into running some means of defence against the inevitable intrusion attempts. Look at DenyHosts and fail2ban - both are packages in Ubuntu/Debian.

Security through obscurity may be scoffed at but imho it's a good way to counter unstructured attacks.

Thanks Imran and to others for the great advice. I will be going through all the posts. However, what I would really like to understand is why does simply changing the port number and nothing else render the server inaccessible?

Kind regards
Mike