Mike

For any network service, you probably should make sure that the machine name
can be resolved to an IP address, and an IP address back to a name as the
reverse lookup is frequently used to detect IP spoofing.

So, for example, if client PC A on 192.168.1.1 is connecting to the server
PC B on 192.168.1.2 for a service (SAMBA share, Telnet, SSH, etc.) then you
should make sure that B can resolve A's IP address to a name somehow or
other. DNS is always the best way but reverse DNS lookups don't always get
set up correctly, in which case you can put an entry for PC A in the
/etc/hosts file of PC B.

Since it's easy to do, it might be worth doing it as a quick test for your
problem - but the connection delay can be caused by reverse DNS lookups
failing and timing out after 30 seconds or so.

It is important to get name resolution working correctly, even on an
isolated LAN, and even if it means just using manually edited hosts tables.

I hope this helps.

Peter