On 19 August 2011 10:21, Edward Beckmann <edward.beckm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
> As it's friday and I have just caused my longsuffering sysadmin to moan at
> my stupidity yet again , I thought I would offer a challenge for amusing
> typos or human errors. Examples could be:
> who can do the most damage to a system with the fewest number of keystrokes?
> what duff error gives the most spectacular failure?
> what error can trigger the longest chain of disasters?
> I am sure you get the gist ....
>

> Bonus marks for anyone brave / foolhardy enough to say "I did ..." as
> opposed to "I knew someone who did ..."

Bad design decisions:
1)
Have the light switch on the wrong side of the machine room door.
So when entering the server room, you have to stretch round, in the
dark, behind the door to reach the light switch.
Issue componded by the big red button being placed right next to the
light switch!
Fortunately, the customer insisted in entering the dark server room before me.
Company: A large bank in the city.

2) Having the power cable between an IBM mainframe and the UPS
trailing across the floor and then inviting a BT engineer in to
install a phone socket.
Result: power cable knocked loose from IBM mainframe. Causing it to
take 49 hours to rebuild/check its database before coming back online.
I visited 3 days after this happened to install the device that needed
the phone socket! I was told the story and shown the power cable to
avoid!
Company: A large company providing information to city customers.

3) This was public news some time ago at an ISP. An employee deleted
the wrong PARTITIONS on a SAN storage array. Resulting is a majority
of their customer's emails being lost for good. Both the live and the
network backup partitions were deleted.