Hi all

Hmm - screen is a neat tool - thanks for pointing this out.   The following
is a bit of a circuitous link but I was watching Hackers the other week and
it made me wonder if there are other "basic" commands out there that are
really useful but nobody uses.

In the film, the sysadmins managed to narrow the hacker activity down to
"terminal 27" and then one said "OK - let's echo terminal 27".   By this I
assume:

a) terminal 27 = pts/27 or IP address 27 or whatever

b) echoing means sysadmin can see what you're up to.

I thought the only way to spy on your users was to do something like

ps aux |grep username

but (in another tenuous link to screen) there are situations where I could
usefully see the progress of shells I have running on the console.   I know
VNC can do this for me but for some reason I really dislike the program -
might be to do with it screwing up my screen reader but it's just a personal
preference.

Is there a magic command to echo the contents of a particular terminal to
root's screen (whether root is locally or remotely logged in)?

Thanks again everyone - this is just another example of the incredible depth
of knowledge on this list.

Cheers

Rob