On Friday 09 September 2011 05:32:47 Mike Burrows wrote:
> > I am messing with the above on my home Ubuntu Hardy Server. When I
> > first set up the ftp server I could login anonymously but could not
> > upload. Makes sense as the permissions on the default /home/ftp
> > directory have to be changed. So per the advice chmodded them to 777.
> > But then when I logout I cannot log back in. Changing permissions to
> > 755 allows the login again but then I cannot upload!
>
> I should add that I had changed vsftpd.conf to allow anon upload.
>
> As an addition the anonymous user cant download files, regardless of the
> /home/ftp folder permissions. :(

The owner or group ID of vsftp must be writeable to that folder, doesn't have
to be 666/777, but say vsftp user is vsftp and group is vsftp, just make the
folder writeable to that group, chown :vsftp /home/ftp; chmod g+w /home/ftp

Either UID or GID writable will work, but if the folder is owned by your user
too, you may just want to make the folder that vsftp writeable to group.