On 11/09/11 16:46, Rob Malpass wrote:

2) Far more serious - I'm making changes to the network configuration (I
want a static ip address and its default is dhcp) using network
connections on the system menu and either

2a) It's disregarding the changes I make i.e. I change the ip address,
then I

do a ifconfig or cat /etc/resolv.conf and see no changes!

2b) I give it perfectly acceptable ip address, subnet mask, gateway and

it still can't find the network.

It's probably something obvious - so as I say - apologies if so - but if
anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Apologies if you've tried this, but did you disconnect and then reconnect the network after you'd made your changes? I've found that just doing Edit and then Apply does nothing. I always then have to disconnect and reconnect for any changes to take effect.

Leo