Hi all

Yes this old chestnut again.   Like most of us I guess, I have quite a few
old hdds and we're now in chuck away mood.   Physically I'll be disposing of
these in as environmentally friendly a way as I can but destroying data is,
as I remember, a bit tricky.   I know data can be recovered even if you wipe
the partition etc so here's my plan - any ideas how robust this is??

Essentially without a safe data shredding program, I'm going to use
truecrypt to create an encrypted partition over whatever data was there
beforehand.   AFAIK this must overwrite what was there with a blank drive
(not just a new partition table) which could only be accessed if they
guessed my truecrypt encrypted password.   So at best, someone could only
ever get back to the blank encrypted drive - not the ntfs partition that was
there before I "formatted" it with truecrypt.

I guess anything's possible but how decent a solution is this?

Cheers

Rob