On 10/10/11 22:49, john lewis wrote:
I had no problems with buying a Novatech "bundle" when I upgraded my
system a few years back. I went for an AMD processor and a built in
video and picked one that was 'Debian compatible' (of course, me being
me!)

It's been a good few years since I have encountered hardware compatibility problems with a motherboard when building a system from scratch.

That's not to say the problem has disappeared completely, just that you'd be very unlucky to fall foul of it these days, in my experience.

When ordering from Novatech, eBuyer and the like, check the review section as folk will often post to the effect that an item is compatible with Linux. I think eBuyer also allows you to post questions too, so you can ask specifically whether problems have been encountered in this regard.

A quick search through the Ubuntu forums might be in order too, as there are likely to be posts there relating to any show-stopping issues you might encounter.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk