Thanks Benjie.

The N145+ was left on charge all last night and it seems a lot better for it! My thinking was that if there are some cells that are not fully charged, an overnight trickle through the charged ones would do some good. Previously, I'd believed the indicator; it's yellow when charging and green when it's charged. Apparently it's over-optimistic. I booted it up on battery power early this morning and have had it running two programs concurrently (pun intended :-) ) ever since.
It is now showing 3hr:40min of power remaining - big improvement.
I'll let it run until the battery goes flat then charge it again for a lot of hours.
I'll post the result; it may be helpful to others.

Tony Wood
(from Linux Netbook)