Hi,

I have an aim to monitor as precisely as possible the power usages of
a number of servers.
I was hoping that I could run some software on each server and it
would tell me how much power the server was consuming.
None of these servers have X installed.
I started with "powertop", and this did give me some useful information.
For example, the sound card was apparently on 100% of the time. I have
no speakers plugged into my servers, so this seemed to be a bad waste
of power.
It was simply rectified by blacklisting the sound card driver module
and then rmmod the module.

I cannot seem to find any tools that monitor things like:
1) Total power consumbed as a monotonic kWh value.
2) Power broken down by device within the system.
3) Power broken down by process within the system.

I cannot seem to find a control interface, that allows me to "suspend"
individual devices and not the whole system.

It would be a shame to have to resort of external power meters on the
AC supply of each server.
Can anybody help me find other useful tools?
What is actually possible to do on the power monitoring front without
using external power meters.

Kind Regards

James