Hi guys!

I realise I haven't posted anything on the list for ages, and that most of you
will think that's a good thing. However, I need a little help...

For a while now I have thought that my 2.4GHz P4 has been a little
underpowered, and was considering replacing it with a big desktop rig.
However, I now find myself reasoning thus: I am going to be doing more mobile
computing, presentations etc. A laptop is more useful for mobile development
(ie. at LUG Meets). A laptop is still going to be several times faster than my
current desktop.

Unfortunately, I don't have limitless money. Consequently, I'm after the best
"bang for my buck", and here's the problem. Having identified two laptops
(below) which look good, and are a sensible price, how does one choose between
them when all the information available (benchmarks and user reviews) seem to
be either sketchy or very similar (and sometimes wildly different for no
adequately explored reason).

Therefore, if anyone has either of these laptops, could you run the Byte
benchmark for me, over 1,2,3 and 4 copies?

If not, does anyone have any general advice?

Toshiba L750D-14F (AMD A6-3400, 6GB Ram)
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.215-7397.aspx

ASUS K53SC-SX307V (Intel Core i5-2430, 4GB RAM)
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.213-9815.aspx

Byte Unix Benchmark v5.1.3
http://code.google.com/p/byte-unixbench/

For reference, Byte records the following speed indexes for my current
machines (overall results):
                                        Copies/Threads
                                        1               2               3
        4
TS7550 - ARM9 SBC               15.6
Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz              447.3
Intel Atom D525 (Server)        389.7   637.7   698.0   770.1

Yes, that does mean that my server is quicker than my desktop on well-threaded
tasks for about 1/3 of the power consumption (educated guess). The TS7550 is
an intentionally low-power system, so the low result is not surprising.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Tim B.

--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
openDynamics - Open-source Vessel Motions Calculation