Hi again,

Did a little bit of reading and a simple test..

For software only PTP, you are probably better off with NTP. For hardware
assisted PTP, only the NIC's have to support timestamping. Most Intel gigabit
controllers do (IGP driver).

I did run a couple of little tests in a pure virtual environment (pure
software) and compared with NTP. I'm not overly pedantic, but NTP just feels
better (in the fact it doesn't do horrid multicast stuff on my network). Sadly
I do not have IEEE 1588 capable cards, so was unable to test in hardware
assist.

For a small network, NTP would probably suffice more. I tend to broadcast NTP
servers through DHCP (easier to distribute) & run a central time server which
all synch from.

If you are wanting a feature-rich read on hardware assisted PTP..

http://www.linuxclustersinstitute.org/conferences/archive/2008/PDF/Ohly_92221.pdf

Does however have a wealth of benefits over NTP mind, but looks to be more
geared toward cluster computing.

Ian