Depends how the error occurred.

Clone the data than run a fsck -cc & it will count how many fubars it detects.

I have drives 8 years + old that are still going strong, with a couple with
patched out areas from when a computer had the power removed abruptly. No more
pending failures or errors yet.

Smartctl will give you a clue of failure anyway, count the

Raw_Read_Error_Rate if it's into the thousands, your drive is surely kaput.

a 360GB drive that is my USB storage for the media player has a fair 192479974
over 22397hrs (933 days) of power-up time. This drive is due to get replaced
as it is cropping up new errors every time it's used.

a 6.5GB that is gone 8 years old has 231273 and it's run time is gone 38193hrs
(1592) days.

It is also possible to force mount an ext3 using ext2, as so it will not use
the journal. This will allow you to more easily (and readily) access your
data.

Ian