I've had at least three early SATA cables which developed a fault; they seemed to be wobbly in their 'sockets' and showed the symptoms you describe.
More recent SATA cables have been OK here so far.

IMHO surge protectors are essential for anything with chips or transistors: cheap peace of mind.

When my daughter's car battery (original, 9 years old) gave up in the current cold blast, she asked: "Do I need a new starter motor?" Random replacement of components is expensive and wasteful - with computer stuff just as with cars.

Tony Wood
(from Linux Mint12 PC)