Hi Ed,

A few years back I built a visitor tracking web app for Jamies Computer
Club, no idea if they are still using it but I'll try and dig out the code.
It might be a good starting point (it was Perl/MySQL). Otherwise I plan to
be at the LUG meet tomorrow and we can talk ideas.

On 29 February 2012 13:22, Edward Beckmann <edward.beckm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> If you are knowledgeable about mysql, database design or web access to
> databases you cold help - if you're not yet knowledgeable but want to learn
> then you may be interested as well.
>
> I am getting involved with motorcycle escorts for sport (cycle races,
> triathlons etc.) and because there are loads of events, regional reps, bike
> riders and so on there needs to be a booking system to keep tabs on who
> will be where. Currently lists and spreadsheets in various formats are
> emailed back and forth and take ages to wade through!
>
> This situation seems an ideal opportunity for me to build on rusty
> database knowledge and create a system accessible by the web, if anyone is
> willing to handhold me, learn with me or collaborate in any way.
>
> There are no constraints I know of (nobody in the organisation has tackled
> this yet, but of course I would do a lot of work on what exactly would help
> the most), and equally no budget except occasional beers from me for
> providing a learning experience.
>
> I just thought that this would be a meaty project that could provide
> learning / challenge / satisfaction / PR.
>
> So I'll run a short ideas session for anyone who would like to participate
> if I may. Happy to take expressions of interest from anyone who cannot make
> this weekend.
>

> Thanks
>
> --
> Ed
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk

GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65  F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)