On 26/03/12 13:41, Vic wrote:

used dd if=<old hdd>  of=<new hdd>

That's generally how I do things. Then use fdisk to sort out any
partitioning issues (I'm generally transferring data to a bigger drive...)

Would that somehow "transfer" badblock info?

No. You're transferring the view of your data as it is presented by the
drive CPU. The actual mapping of block numbers onto physical pieces of
disk is none of your concern.

That's interesting, and I'm sure you're right.

I was going to answer 'yes' regarding the transfer of bad block information, but I was thinking about NTFS, which keeps its own record of which blocks are bad. Modern versions of the Windows 'chkdsk' programme have an option to clear the list of bad blocks for the situation where you've moved the filing system from a failing disk to a new one.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgden...@btinternet.com