[snip]

Before going any further, I should say that I've got it working now (buried
on the page is a bleeding edge repository site which I've now added to mine
and it's installed via synaptic fine) - but certainly for my own education,
I'd like to pursue this as I've never heard of the command pkg-config

> pkg-config --exists --print-errors 'cairo >= 1.5'

gives me nothing - just returns me to the prompt.

> pkg-config --exists --print-errors 'cairo >= 7.5'

gives me:

Requested 'cairo >= 7.5' but version of cairo is 1.10.2

This prompts two more questions:
1) Is 1.10 > 1.9? i.e. did 1.10 come after 1.9 ?(numerically I know it's not
but not sure how version numbering works)
2) According to configure - I need version 1.5 or later - hence my question
above.   So I don't know if my version is later than 1.5 or not.

Cheers
Rob