Only real problem with any capacity rechargable is they are 1.2 volt cells. A
lot of devices stop working sooner due voltage dropping quicker. You can get
alkaline battery chargers, which work well and can get a fair few full charges
from them. If that charge port works you could builder a larger battery unit
(from maplin) and wire and plug onto it.

Ian