Thanks everyone for your suggestions.   I have actually been using handbrake
too but having problems with that along the lines of the quality of the
ripped product.   The majority of the disks I have to rip are sport - and
while the majority of them were not brilliant quality in the first place
(recorded at 4 hours per disk to keep costs down), the finished product from
Handbrake was rubbish despite a lot of faffing with things like decomb,
deinterlace etc etc.   However this brings me to 2 further questions:

1) If I accept Handbrake as the tool of choice, then what combination of
settings simply gets me (no matter how long it takes or the size of file
created) an identical copy of the disk?
2) I think part of the problem here is that the disks I have are home made -
not commercial - are there any special known issues ripping home recorded
DVDs?   They play ok in just about everything (Blu Ray, XBox etc) but
handbrake is struggling to copy them.

Cheers
Rob