Hi Sean,

If you managed to boot that means grub can work, no matter what distro you
use. So you should at least be able to boot to grub menu. I have an Ubuntu
12.04 server myself on an ASRock ION 330. Perhaps it was something you
forgot (such as grub not installed in mbr, partition not marked bootable,
hdd order swapped in bios at the time, and with the repartitioning and a
new install it got fixed). Perhaps it was just bad luck?

Mihai