Anton wrote:
> Unfortunately (unsurprisingly?) Microsoft buggered
> up the upnp protocol on the xbox so it can't find media.
> Is there any linux software that cab be a
> upnp playback target or renderer so that I can use my phone to browse
> media
> (stored on my phone, tablet or pc) and have the playback happen on my
> linux
> pc which is connected to my tv and hifi?

Re the xbox issue MinimServer might include a fix - it seems to be
getting a good reception on the forums.  Wikipedia [1] lists renderers
including VLC, XBMC and Totem.

Having no experience with UPnP I'm wondering whether using two routers
[2, 3] is going way OTT.  Is UPnP server security a problem, i.e. if you
know how to configure your router are there issues with a layout like
this?

         ADSL Modem Router
Clients     Fileserver     Media PC
SSHFS       SSHD           UPnP renderer
            UPnP server

Anthony

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients