Hi all

It must be me - but I honestly can't see a decent guide for rsync.   I'd be
happy to write one as soon as I've got it doing what I want.   So can anyone
help?

What I'm trying to do is backup my NAS to my NAS backup and (as it's 250Gb)
I only want new or changed files copied across.   I thought this was what
the -ignore-existing switch did but I find my latest job copying files which
I know are already there because I can see them if I login from another box.
Therefore as it's overwriting them, it's effectively copying the whole 250Gb
again which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid.

Even more weird (and irritating) if I compare the two sizes (of the source
and the destination) - then the backup is bigger than the source!
Therefore you would think there's some duplication going on somewhere but (a
cursory inspection) reveals no duplicates.

So in the spirit of my sanity, could someone please post the syntax to
exactly mirror /mnt/foo to /mnt/goo ?

And by exactly mirror I mean

* Copy all files on foo which are not on goo

* Delete all files on goo which are not on foo

Cheers

Rob