On Sunday 09 Dec 2012, Chris Dennis wrote:
> The first ever HantsLUG Christmas Lecture was held on Saturday 1
> December in the Zepler Building at Southampton University.
>
> The speaker was Mike Bond (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mkb23/), of the
> Computer Laboratory at Cambridge University, where he has been
> researching security in the banking system for 10 or more years.
>
> He gave us a talk on "Hacking bank cards: 10 years of tools." – a
> subject that sounded distinctly illegal to me.  In fact the work on
> computer security done at Cambridge has been an important tool for
> improving the complex security measures that banks need to use.
> Although publicly criticising any attempts to break their systems, the
> banks do in fact cooperate with this type of research because it helps
> them to develop better ones.

Congratulations on getting a good speaker on an interesting topic, I'm only
sorry I was not able to attend. I look forward to the next year!

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I don't think it would be useful for customers to put a section on
our website to explain how the fare system works.
    -- Richard Gibson, Head of Communications, CrossCountry Trains