Hi Chris,

On 02/02/13 23:43, Chris Dennis wrote:
I think it was Alan Pope who used to video HantsLUG talks, and he became
adept at creating good presentations from them, complete with titles and
stuff.

No, it was me. Though I did use Alan's video camera in the early days.

If Alan is reading this: did you find a way to directly capture what's
being shown on the screen in the meeting room as well as videoing the
speaker?

I took the slides from the presenter and generated images of each slide in JPEG, PNG etc. Then I used a video editing programme to insert the slide at the appropriate juncture.

That technique doesn't work for live demonstrations of course. VGA scanning kit is expensive, but having the speaker run screen recording software (like recordmydesktop) might be a workable alternative.

Do you have any tips for the next generation of HantsLUG
videographers?

Audio, as you pointed out, is important. If you don't have access to a video camera that has an external microphone socket, then you could record it separately and dub it on afterwards. For example connect a lapel microphone to a laptop running audacity.

Does anyone have the necessary equipment and skills (and inclination) to
do this properly at future meetings?

Nope. :)

Tony