On 18/02/13 17:42, john lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 13:02:00 +0000
> Roger Munford <rogermunf...@parussoftware.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> My daughter wants to buy a DSLR camera and is seriously considering
>> the NIKON D3100.
>>
>> The video function is quite important for her.
>
> I am a bit surprised that you or anyone else would want a DSLR for
> making videos.
>
> I have never understood why they have this function. It has always
> seemed to me that you'd buy a video camera to make vidoes  and a
> DSLR (or other digital camera) to do still photography.

Perhaps, but they are trying to appeal to more than one sector (and
justify the noticeably higher prices than compacts).

Having said that, the video recording facilities on modern DSLRs are
excellent - 720p (or even 1080p) HD is not uncommon. Sound is another
thing entirely, but with an external mic, not really a problem.
Couple that with interchangeable lenses and you have a pretty decent
combination.

The ability to attach really high-quality glass to them is another bonus
and probably (I've not checked) a cheaper option than buying the
equivalent functionality/flexibility in a video camera.

I've seen BBC cameramen using them in tandem with 'proper' video cameras
for this, so they must be okay at it :)

As for recommendations, I'd say find a camera shop (if there are any
left) and play with a couple of the Nikon/Canon equivalents. The
controls and features will be different.

Personally I went with Canon (and a higher-end camera than you're
considering), but it's very much a personal choice (and may depend on
how many friends you have with compatible lenses etc to allow you to
test things out)

You might also consider the 'bridge' cameras, which have interchangeable
lenses (albeit a smaller selection) at a lower price. I know a few folk
who are very happy with them.

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.