Hi,

At the LUG meeting on Saturday I was chatting about energy usage at home. We
bought our house recently and like anyone who buys or rents these days you are
supposed to get an EPC telling you how much energy the house uses per year per
unit area. Normally this is quoted as a letter code, "A" good, "G" bad and a
kWh/m2 figure.

Our house was built in 1936 and has a EPC rating of "E" and an estimated
energy use of 314 kWh/m2/year. Last year we ran the house at an actual energy
use of 85 kWh/m2/year. What the inspector said and what is real are quite
different. I'm just curious if anyone else has calculated or would be willing
to calculate and share their domestic energy footprint?

You need to know your gas and electricity bills for one complete year, to get
the total kWh you have been billed for. If you use coal, oil, or wood then it
can be done for that too but you'd need to convert that to a useful comparable
energy value first.

You then need to know how many square metres your house is (all floors), tape
measure and a friend. If you have an EPC it should be on there.

You divide the total energy by the total area and you get an energy per year
per unit area. If you have an EPC you can compare them to see how good the
estimate is.

I'm curious to see what the energy footprints are for houses of given ages and
how they compare to the EPC if you have it. This is totally unscientific but
I'm curious what is out there.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Despite all its complexity, fuzziness, uncertainty and spooky action-
at-a-distance, quantum mechanics is probably a Good Thing.  However, I
must also note that QM permits Microsoft Windows to exist.
    -- John Walker